Wednesday, July 20, 2011

VitaBit #1

Posted by Nina Luchka ... the motivated mom at Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Here is a little VitaBit on Vitamin D and my story on why I have been taking it for YEARS and why I have my family on it and also I recommend to all my clients. 

Back when I was in high school (grade nine) I remember my mom coming home from the doctors and her telling my dad that the doc had mentioned that she is low in Vitamin D, and was close to having osteoporosis.  Because I listen to EVERYTHING around me I remembered this and have never forgotten it.  So I hear that mom is close to osteoporosis….she also has an underactive thyroid (which I didn’t at that time yet)….. and now she is to be taking vitamin D…..Well, I always need to know the “why” to all things, so this is something I later did my research on.  Was there a connection with underactive thyroid and osteoporosis?  Or was there a connection between Lack of Vitamin D and an underactive thyroid?   

Well here is a little info on all this! 

Vitamin D is crucial for many reasons, especially for women. Vitamin D is very important when it comes to cancer prevention in women; the types of cancer are breast cancer, bladder cancer, ovarian cancer and colon cancer.  Funny thing is that my mom passed away from Ovarian Cancer….not saying it was because of the lack of vitamin D (which she didn’t take all the time and stopped it for awhile…..Yes I pay attention to small things like this even at a young age!), but who knows right.  I will also share my story on my mom and ovarian cancer in another post.

Some of the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency can be seen in WOMEN only…
·         mood changes during premenstrual syndrome
·         mood related symptoms such as depressive behavior and/or seasonal affective disorder
·          in menopausal women, symptoms of vitamin D deficiency can be closely related to osteoporosis
·         In pregnant women, we already know how important vitamin D is for the fetus (Vitamin D plays an incredibly important role when it comes to growth and development)

Infants who are only fed on breast milk can become deficient in vitamin D.   This is why I would add in vitamin D when I pumped milk for Aspen.  If the mother’s diet is low in foods that are rich in vitamin D, this will certainly lead to poor quality of her breast milk. If you are pregnant, you have to talk to your doctor about the right foods to consume during and after your pregnancy. Breastfeeding mothers must pay attention to what they eat. Sometimes, doctors can give you vitamin supplements to use during your pregnancy.

In BABIES and CHILDREN, here are some of the symptoms…

·         muscle cramps (in babies)
·         low calcium levels in blood
·         difficulties in breathing and fragile bones (and skull) prone to fractures
·         your child’s development is too slow
·         Immunity system can become considerably weaker
·         Low energy
·         painful bones
·         dental deformities
·         general weakness
·         darkened skin
·         skull deformities
·         difficulties in crawling
·         lack of sleep
·         no significant progress in growth
·         your child’s teeth are delaying and just won’t come out
·         obesity
·         immune system problems
·         multiple sclerosis
·         high blood pressure

Severe cases of vitamin D deficiency in children can cause certain heart problems due to heart muscle weakness which can endanger the lives of children. Such cases are rare, but keep in mind that your child must get the right daily dose of vitamin D needed for his/her normal development.  Vitamin D deficiency can cause permanent problems in children! 

Another reason  I have been taking Vitamin D for YEARS, throughout my pregnancy and breastfeeding,  and have been giving it to Aspen since she was born.

In general for ADULTS, a lack of Vitamin D may cause….

·         Depression
·         chronic fatigue
·         weight loss
·         diabetes -- people who suffer from diabetes and have vitamin D deficiency can have additional problems with diabetes
·         heart disease
·         stroke
·         osteoporosis
·         rickets
·         high cholesterol levels
·         hypertension
·         teeth problems
·         bone problems
·         obesity -- vitamin D levels are closely related to obesity.

So, after reading all this you MAY now consider going out and getting some Vitamin D supplement!  You can also incorporate some such as egg yolk, fish, fish oil, some cheese, beef liver and some types of grain into your daily diet.  Consult with  your doctor or your natural health practitioner as well. 

Here are the brands I use for my family….Vince and I use the Sisu pill form and Aspen uses a Innotavtive Research liquid form.

NL xoxo



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

NINA LUCHKA Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | web hosting