Sunday, August 21, 2011

Can't BEET a Farmers Market!

Posted by Nina Luchka ... the motivated mom at Sunday, August 21, 2011
Friday I went to the Farmers Market in Oshawa at the Oshawa Centre.....which by the way is a GREAT market for our area!  Lots of variety!  I do like to go once in awhile and hit the markets for some fresh food.  I havent gone all summer and then my friend Mandy had mentioned the farmers market.  Thankfully she did cause I have a new love.....BEETS!  I went two weeks ago and got a couple bunches of beets.....came home and made some steamed beets for dinner for my dad, Vince and Aspen, and then a beet cake!!  OMG the cake was FANTASTIC!!! 
Aspen and I went back this past Friday. Vince met us there to help me carrying everything back to the truck. This time I got a bushel of beets! lol Along with strawberries, peppers, tomatos, onion, garlic, cucumbers, fresh organic bread and some beautiful flowers! We were having company over on friday night for dinner so some fresh food was perfect!
Aspen enjoying some fresh organic bread in the back of the truck!

I ended up peeling the bushel of beets saturday afternoon while a friend was visiting. Saturday evening I spent steaming and bagging the beets for the freezer. I made a couple bags of shredded beets too so I can make Borsh (beet soup) this winter.
after washing my hands about 20 times!!!!

I''ll be going back for more fresh veggies this Friday.....going to start pickling cucmbers and beets!  This is something my parents did every year.  I remember helping when I was little!  And I remember ALL the jars of peaches, cucumbers, beets, raspberries that mom and dad would jar, and all the raspberry juice and strawberry, peach and raspberry jam they would make!  Nothing like making is all yourself.  HUGE difference in taste too.  I went and bought beets at the grocery store mid week last week, I brought them home, steamed them and took a bit and SPIT IT OUT!  It was disgusting!!

So this week I will be prepping all the things I need to start pickling!  Breakin out my all my mom's and baba's recipes!

What are some of your FAVORITE pickling recipes??  Or some of your FAVORITE pickled veggies?

NL xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

NINA LUCHKA Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | web hosting